1. In a small saute pan over medium heat, cook pancetta until it reaches desired crispness. Turn heat off, place onto a paper towel to drain and set aside.
2. In a large pot of heavily salted boiling water cook your pasta al dente/according to package instructions. (Reserve about ¼ cup of pasta water)
3. In a large dutch oven or pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add shallots and saute while stirring occasionally for 3 mins. Add in the grated garlic and saute for about 1 minute, stirring quickly to prevent it from burning. Add heavy cream and season with salt and pepper to taste (being mindful of how salty the parm will be!)
4. Bring heavy cream to a simmer over medium heat. Allow to simmer for 4-6 minutes until it reduces a bit and becomes slightly thickened. Turn heat down to low and while whisking constantly, slowly add in the 2 cups of parmigiano reggiano. Keep whisking until the sauce has thickened and all of the cheese is melted. (If your sauce is thicker than desired, add a bit of pasta water to thin out – otherwise, no need!) Add peas and taste for seasoning.
5. Once pasta is done, strain and add directly into the sauce. Stir in the pancetta and mix until evenly coated. Top this with additional parm and lots of freshly cracked black pepper.