1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and grease a 9×13 baking dish. In a large mixing bowl, combine cake mix, water, eggs, and vanilla extract (do not use oil as the box directions call for). Bake the cake according to package directions then allow it to cool completely.
2. Once cooled, place the cake into a large mixing bowl and crumble it up using your hands, a hand mixer, or a stand mixer.
3. Add in frosting one tablespoon at a time until it reaches your desired consistency – once it feels like play dough you’ve added the perfect amount of frosting. It should be slightly moist but still able to hold its shape.
4. Scoop about a tablespoon of the mixture using a mini cookie scoop. Press the mixture down between your hands to remove any air bubbles then roll into a ball – repeat this process until finished. Place onto a baking dish or plate and freeze for a minimum of 2 hours.
5. Once ready, microwave the candy melts according to package directions. Dip the tip of a lollipop stick into the melted chocolate and into the ball. Then, completely submerge the cake pop into the chocolate, being sure to work quickly and shake off any excess.
6. Immediately decorate with sprinkles (if desired). Once chocolate is dry, place in a styrofoam block to fully set. Serve and enjoy!